Wilmington Historical Society Logo

Wilmington Historical Society
Minutes of Meeting
Wednesday, January 4, 2012
Wilmington Community Center

Attendees

Karen Peters
Merri C. Peck
Gilbert Dyke
Doug Wolfe
Nancy Cressey
Bob Cressey

Karen Peters called the meeting to order at 7:34 PM as soon as the audit committee finished their business. Karen called for the secretary’s report. The last minutes are from November since we do not meet in December. Gilbert Dyke made a motion to accept the minutes as read and it was seconded by Doug Wolfe. All voted in favor.

Bob Cressey passed out copies of the treasurer’s report for the two month period since our last meeting. As of January 4, 2012 the balance in our treasury is $4,942.46. During the period we had income of $27.64 from the sale of a book. Our expenses were $316.90, including $86.32 for office supplies, $50 for membership dues for Museumwise and $180.58 for postage. Doug made a motion to accept the report and it was seconded by Merri Peck. The motion carried unanimously.

Bob then passed around copies of a proposed budget for 2012. After some discussion it was agreed that we should decrease the amount for equipment purchase since we foresee no major equipment needs for this year. We decided to increase the proposed amount for publications and also for special projects to allow for costs of editing the chattel mortgages. Gil made a motion to accept the proposed budget as amended and it was seconded by Merri. The motion carried unanimously.

Karen reminded us that the IRS Form 990EZ is due for submission in April.

Karen reported on communications. She sent a thank you note to Nancy McNabb for completion of her portion of the chattel mortgages. Julie Robinson sent a notice that she has completed the museum at Santa’s Workshop. There was an announcement of a ski history day at Whiteface on Sunday, December 11, 2011. Doug Wolfe and Guy Stephenson participated in this event. Karen sent a thank you to Robert Sturges for providing the WHS with DVDs of more postcards and photos. There has been a lot of communication going back and forth about the chattel mortgages and it now appears that we are on the way to completing the transcription.

Karen mentioned that Volume 17 of the Wilmington book series which covers the church records is now available.

Merri reported for the Library, Museum and Historical Sites Committee. We need to finish archiving the Harold Hinds, Jr. Collection.

Karen reported for the Publications and Programs Committee. We decided to eliminate the research night for the third Tuesday of December since it is too close to Christmas. We talked about open discussion topics for 2012. Karen provided a list of all previous open discussion topics since there are many that we would want to repeat. It was suggested that we should have written summaries of all the discussions so we can add to them and not repeat what has already been said. Some suggested open discussion topics were land grants; telephone, telegraph, technology; post office, post masters and stamp collections; roads, highways and bridges; what census records reveal about Wilmington; chattel mortgages; Wilmington ancestry; Wilmington library; Civil War; schools; and skiing in Wilmington. We decided that Skiing in Wilmington will be the open discussion topic for February. Karen will meet with Doug to set up the discussion topic schedule for the remainder of 2012.

Karen put out a request that we all try to think of Wilmington history trivia questions for the town newsletter. Merri suggested that we could research possible trivia questions at research nights.

We then discussed programs for 2012. Our first program is already scheduled. Karen will be presenting Wilmington History in Postcards for the Lake Placid and North Elba Historical Society on January 25th at the Howard Johnson’s in Lake Placid. Dinner will be at 6:00 PM followed by the presentation. Karen said she has already emailed the Lake Placid school district about a project involving students for 2012. She has not yet heard back from them. We need theme ideas for the 2012 Festival of Colors. We also need ideas for speakers. Doug mentioned that the universities often have lists of faculty members who are willing to speak and their areas of expertise.

Karen advised us that the membership brochure for 2012 is done. We will need to set a date for mailing. Nancy Cressey agreed to check with Nicole Forbes at the town hall to get updated mailing addresses for the out of town property owners.

The WHS received its Absolute Charter. It was voted upon by the New York State Regents on September 13, 2011 and we received it on December 1, 2011. The chattel mortgages are being completed. Nancy McNabb completed one portion and Jessica Mulvey and Karen are working on other portions. The WHS will be assisting with the costs of editing.

We need to change the date of our July meeting since the first Wednesday falls on the Fourth. Karen will try to schedule it for July 11th, with July 10th and July 9th being second and third choices.

Karen mentioned that the Museum Association of New York (MANY) is creating a special report to highlight the importance of museums and heritage organizations in New York State. The report is to be published in the Legislative Gazette on February 14th as a “Valentine” to the legislature to encourage public funding support for these organizations. MANY members are invited to advertise in the report for a cost. We agreed that the WHS is probably too small of an organization to benefit from this. Karen also mentioned that she heard from Arcadia Publishing that they are interested in publishing a book about the history of Wilmington and Elizabethtown. Karen advised them that the two towns do not share a common history, but that we would be interested in finding out more about participating in creating a book for Wilmington. We will discuss this further at the next meeting.

We then talked briefly about the Great Escape tickets for this year. Gil advised us that the selling price of the tickets has increased to $22.50 this year but we will still receive $5 for each ticket sold. We need to decide who will sell the tickets this year. As for advertising this year it was agreed that we should create a Facebook page for the WHS at our next research night on January 17th.

We then turned our attention to updating our Action Plan for 2012. The 2012 Action Plan as developed by the members present is included as an attachment to these minutes.

Karen asked that everyone report their volunteer hours to her by the next meeting. Doug moved to adjourn the meeting and Gil seconded the motion. All voted in favor.

Respectfully Submitted,
Nancy Cressey
Secretary
Wilmington Historical Society

[TOP of PAGE]


Home |  Welcome |  About Us |  Programs & Events |  Photographs |  History  |  Educational Programs 

(c) 2012 by the Wilmington Historical Society, P.O. Box 174, Wilmington, NY 12997