Wilmington Historical Society Logo

Wilmington Historical Society
Minutes of Meeting
Wednesday, January 4, 2017
Wilmington Community Center

Attendees

Karen Peters
Merri Peck
Donna Griffin
Judy Lawrence
Nancy Cressey
Jess Ano
Gil Dyke

Karen Peters called the meeting to order at 7 pm. The Audit Committee of Merri Peck, Jess Ano and Nancy Cressey met just prior to this meeting and chairman Merri Peck presented their report. Random checks were made and everything was found to be in good order. Donna is to be commended on a job well done. Gil Dyke moved to accept the report and Judy Lawrence seconded his motion. All voted in favor.

Karen then called for the Secretary’s report and said that the dollar amounts for the treasury balances had been inadvertently omitted from the minutes. The paragraph on the treasurer’s report will be amended to read as follows: “The treasurer gave a printed report. There is a balance of $2,361.42 in the regular operations account, $100 in the building transfer account, and to date $20,079.00 in the Adirondack Foundation account. The Board of trustees met …” Jess Ano moved to accept the minutes as corrected and Merri Peck seconded her motion. All voted in favor.

Donna presented the treasurer’s report. There is $1,727 in our NBT operating account, $12,710 in the NBT building fund account, $20,650 in the Adirondack Foundation account and $100 in petty cash. Donna pointed out that ink cartridges are a big expense for us, exceeding $800 in the past year. We briefly discussed looking into getting a new printer to cut ink cartridge costs. The NBT account for the John Zachay Memorial money has not yet been established. Donna indicated that she would take care of this. Karen asked Donna to check with the Adirondack Foundation to see if a check from Dennis Keegan had posted yet. Judy made a motion to approve the treasurer’s report and it was seconded by Merri Peck. The motion carried unanimously. Donna reported that we have so far received $1,555 from our latest appeal plus the $12,000 from the John Zachay Memorial fund. Donna passed out copies of the draft budget for 2017. We reviewed the budget and a couple of changes were suggested. Proposed expenses for computer technology and Great Escape tickets were both decreased by $100 to $550 and $700 respectively. Two new expense lines for WHS Stickers and reference library books were added at $100 each. Merri made a motion to approve the proposed budget as amended and Gil seconded her motion. All voted in favor. Our IRS Form 990 is due in April. Donna said she would like to use H&R Block again. Their fee is $125. Donna will make an appointment to get the form completed.

Discussion turned to communications. Karen said we received an email from the New York Council for the Humanities announcing that they are changing their name to Humanities New York. They have redesigned and updated their website which contains links to programs, grants and events to be more user friendly. We have received grants supporting our programs in the past and we should continue to take advantage of this resource. Donna emailed Patrick McIntyre about setting up a page on our website to sell our books through Pay Pal and he responded with information about what he needs in order to do this. An email from North Pole, NY Documentary gave us an update on the progress of the documentary about Santa’s Workshop. The Museum Association of New York sent a letter thanking us for our membership. Starr Hough emailed asking whether we would have daytime research hours this year. Robert Lawrence emailed regarding a research question he had asked about the origin of mountain names, Sentinel Mountain in particular. We did not have any information about how Sentinel was named but he was able to get the information from the library at Union College in Schenectady. The Union College library is a good resource for any questions about the names of the mountains.

Our next research day will be January 17 from 10 am to 1 pm.

Karen reported for the Publications and Programs Committee. We need topics for open discussions and programs for this year. Donna made several suggestions for topics including the Holiness Camp, 10th Armored Division, “Gone but not forgotten,” and a mock trial pertaining to some issue in Wilmington history. Someone else suggested “Connect to Salem.” Donna and Merri will get together at the next research meeting to develop topics for the meetings and our programs. The Festival of Colors will be held September 9th from 10 am to 5 pm. Karen said she has received communication from the 46ers about their planned celebration in 2018. They would like the WHS to include Esther Mountain as well as Whiteface in whatever presentation we do since Esther is also in Wilmington.

Nancy and Bob Cressey will meet with Karen and Bob Peters on Friday to prepare the 2017 membership brochure. The committee for the Whiskey Run has met three times. We have the logo and the run is set for June 17th. Karen is working on getting the state permits and the insurance. The insurance quote we received seems very high for a one day event so Karen will try to clarify that or possibly get the town to provide the insurance. A planning meeting is scheduled for January 11th. We need to prepare a press release and ask Patrick to add the race information to our website. We were contacted by Great Escape about whether we still want to sell the tickets as a fundraiser. We decided that we will and we have included it in the budget. The WHS Stickers are still selling and more are being distributed to a couple of the vendors.

Everything has been taken out of the WHS trailer except for the gun carriage. The trailer was scheduled to be removed by a contractor but the town has not removed the gun carriage and they say the highway department does not have room for it. We discussed options for what should be done about the gun carriage. Consensus was that we might see if the contractor will delay taking away the trailer, but since the gun belongs to the town and not the WHS, its disposition is the responsibility of the town.

Merri agreed to chair the next meeting in Karen’s absence if necessary, and also tentatively the March meeting. We reviewed our 2016 and Long Term Plans and updated them for 2017. Nancy Cressey will update the document as amended and have it available for the next meeting. Karen asked everyone to turn in their volunteer hours for 2016. Donna made a suggestion that we should all review our website and make suggestions for improvement. Merri suggested that we might want to look into getting a better website program to make it easier for Patrick to update.

Gil then moved to adjourn and Merri seconded. All voted in favor.

Respectfully Submitted,
Nancy Cressey
Secretary
Wilmington Historical Society

[TOP of PAGE]


Home |  Welcome |  About Us |  Programs & Events |  Photographs |  History  |  Educational Programs 

(c) 2017 by the Wilmington Historical Society, P.O. Box 174, Wilmington, NY 12997