Wilmington Historical Society Logo

Wilmington Historical Society
Minutes of Meeting
7:00 PM, Wednesday, January 17, 2007
E. M. Cooper Library

Attendees

Merri Peck
Doug Wolfe
Steve Connor
Guy Stephenson
Nancy Cressey
Bob Cressey

Merri Peck called the meeting to order and called for the secretary’s report. Steve Connor made a motion to accept the minutes as read. It was seconded by Guy Stephenson and it carried unanimously.

Bob Cressey gave the treasurer’s report. Our bank balance is $5,046.74. In the past month our receipts were $20 from memberships. Our expenses were $797.05, including $493.75 for archival supplies, $100 for memberships, $137.50 for books and $65.80 for printing. Bob also passed out copies of the proposed budget which was briefly discussed. Bob will change category H1 under programs from “Special Events” to “Special Events/Honorariums.” Merri Peck introduced a motion to accept the Treasurer’s report and proposed budget and it was seconded by Guy. All voted in favor.

Merri discussed communications. We received an email query from someone asking if they were to make a donation in memory of someone would we send a letter to the family of the deceased person. Karen Peters replied to them that we will do that. We received the annual report and Dispatch Newsletter from the American Association for State and Local History. We also received a report of the last Visitor’s Bureau board of directors meeting. We also had an email request for a paragraph about Wilmington history for the Saranac Lake and Area booklet. Karen obtained permission for them to use the wording on the Essex County Historical Society (ECHS) website as long as they credit the ECHS.

Merri reported that Karen has completed organizing all the materials from the Warren estate. Karen will be meeting with George Warren to have him sign deeds of gift for all the items.

Doug Wolfe presented the draft speaker and event schedule for the coming year. Not all dates are finalized but the schedule is as follows:

Saturday, May 5 …………………..Mines Tour—Guy Stephenson
June………………………………….”Area Railroads”—Speaker, Chris Breschi
July…………………………………..”Santa’s Workshop II”
August……………………………….”Civil War Re-enactor”, Matt George
Saturday September 15……………Festival of Colors
Saturday, October 13………………Archives Week (Oct 9-14), “Introduction to Genealogy—Getting Started”, Bob & Karen Peters

Doug also announced that our first Open Discussion topic for Saturday, February 3, 1-3 PM at the Community Center will be the “History of Skiing in Wilmington.” Doug will take care of publicity for this event. The draft schedule for open discussion topics for the remainder of the year is as follows:

March 21: “Area Snowmobile History & Clubs”
April 18: “History of the Wilmington Fire Department”
May 16: “Wilmington Post Office History”
June 20: “Area Hiking Trails & Conservation History” August 15: “History of the Ausable River, West Branch” (fishing, swimming, boating, ice skating, dam, industry, High Falls Gorge, Wilmington Notch
September 19: “History of Social Organizations in Wilmington” (e.g. Rock & Mineral Club, Ski Club, Kiwanis, PAL, etc.)
October 17: “Area Forest Histories—logging, charcoaling, sugar maple production, Pulp making, forest fires”
November 14: “Wilmington Hunting Stories”

Bob made the suggestion that we hold our open discussions prior to our business meetings in order to make it more convenient for the public to attend. Nancy Cressey made a motion to accept the draft schedule of topics and it was seconded by Bob. All voted in favor. Nancy reported that we have the new membership flyers back from the printer and all we need to do is put the labels on them for mailing. Merri advised that the bulk mailing permit has been renewed so that is no longer an issue. We agreed to meet Tuesday evening, January 30 at the Cressey’s house to accomplish that task. We also have the new membership cards that have our mission statement printed on the back.

Merri reported that the Board of Trustees needs to meet concerning possible availability of a building and joint grant application project with the Ausable Sustainable Communities group.

Guy said he was not able to attend the last meeting of the Ausable Sustainable Communities waterfront project.

Regarding the Wilmington guns, Steve said he had talked to Dana Peck about the wheels that he has. He is not sure they would work on our carriage but he will try to look into this. Doug said he has acquired much of the gattling gun history, but we need to find out more about the naval gun stored at the highway department. We should try to get Dick Lawrence involved, as he has a lot of knowledge on this topic. Doug also suggested that we should try to pin down the date that the cannon was acquired. There should be some record of this in the town minutes if we can determine the timeframe. We know that it was jointly acquired with Ausable Forks. Merri will check with the town hall to ask about the minutes. Doug suggested that we try to get all the hardware moved to our storage trailer and then have some of the people with expertise come assess it and make recommendations. Guy agreed to talk to Dick Lawrence and Steve Roberts.

Merri said that she has not yet provided Patrick McIntyre a CD of photos for our website but she will work on doing so.

Steve introduced a motion to change our November meeting this year from November 21 to November 14, since the 21st is the day before Thanksgiving. Doug seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.

Bob said that Karen has recommended that we join the Museum Association of New York, (MANY), as it is a source for grants and assistance that may prove valuable to the WHS. The annual dues are $55. Merri moved that we join MANY, and Guy seconded her motion. It passed unanimously.

Nancy reported that Karen had advised her that the conservation of the town book of old records has been completed. They are now putting the records on CDs. Karen had requested that they use archival gold CDs and Jerry Bruce agreed to pay the extra cost that this would entail.

Merri made a motion to adjourn the meeting and it was seconded by Guy. All voted in favor.

Respectfully submitted,
Nancy Cressey
Secretary

[TOP of PAGE]


Home |  Welcome |  About Us |  Programs & Events |  Photographs |  History  |  Educational Programs 

(c) 2007 by the Wilmington Historical Society, P.O. Box 174, Wilmington, NY 12997
Mailbox e-mail us.