Wilmington Historical Society Logo

Wilmington Historical Society
Minutes of Meeting
Wednesday, August 3, 2016
Wilmington Community Center

Attendees

Merri C. Peck
Doug Wolfe
Guy Stephenson
Donna Griffin
Marc du Bois
Pat du Bois
Linda Joss-Dyke
Gilbert Dyke
Bob Cressey
Nancy Cressey

Merri Peck called the meeting to order at 7pm. Our open discussion on “Wilmington Town Hall History” began with Merri showing pictures of the various buildings that served as town hall over the years. She also showed a list of all the town supervisors from 1821 to the present. She passed around some pictures of some of the early town supervisors and related anecdotes about a few of them.

Upon opening the business meeting Merri called for the secretary’s report. Linda Joss-Dyke moved to accept the minutes as read and Gil Dyke seconded her motion. The motion passed unanimously. Donna Griffin then presented the treasurer’s report. Our total income for the month was $951.59 and expenses were $379.59. Our operating fund account balance is $1,932.43, the building fund account balance is $14,374.62 and we have $100 in the building fund transfer account and $100 in petty cash. Guy Stephenson made a motion to accept the report and his motion was seconded by Doug Wolfe. All voted in favor.

The next item for discussion was communications. A thank you message was sent to Margaret Bartley for the program she presented, “Dating Photos from Fashion” on Friday, July 8th. Karyn Eldridge of Adirondack Architectural Heritage shared a link to a Santa’s Workshop video made by John Eldridge, one of the tour participants. The video can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12XNiCuvU00. Charles Haselton sent us a thank you for the get well card sent to Erma Haselton. Sadie Hozley inquired as to whether the WHS would be willing to donate something to the annual Wilmington Get Together. Linda made a motion to donate all the soda and chips and one raffle prize left over from the Owaissa Dance series. Nancy Cressey seconded the motion and all voted in favor.

Next item for discussion was Acquisitions and Research. Merri assisted an individual with research on the Patridge family. Guy mentioned that the DEC was researching a “cradle mill” on the Patridge family property. He had not yet been able to determine exactly what a cradle mill was. Karen Peters interviewed Dennis Keegan about the motels and restaurants of the 1950s. Doug Wolfe donated two posters from Whiteface, two photos from Santa’s Workshop and a ski strap from Otto Schnieb’s ski shop. Marc du Bois donated a wooden sign from Boy Scout Troop 24 which was carved by Caroll Coolidge. Marc du Bois also offered to contribute $1000 toward a new roof on the golf club house building if the WHS should decide to mark the building as a historical landmark and assist in getting grants for further restoration.

Merri reported for the Publications and Programs Committee. The Program “Dating Photos from Fashion” was held July 8th and was well received by attendees. On Friday August 19th, Hallie Bond will present a program on Dogs of the Adirondacks. The last of the Owaissa Dance Party series has been cancelled. We placed a notice in the Jay Community News about the raffle of “Whiteface Gold,” the framed print by Jeri Wright. We had a request from Freddie Quilla of the Country Bear to provide them with some reusable trays for them to use for the WHS. We agreed that we should have Freddie pick out what they would like and we will order them.

Nancy reported for the Membership and Nominations Committee that our membership for 2016 now stands at 170. We had 12 renewals/new members during the month of July.

Merri reminded us that membership to North American Reciprocal Museum (NARM) Association is available from the Essex County Adirondack History Museum in Elizabethtown. NARM membership entitles one to free admission to a great many museums all over the US and Canada.

The Festival of Colors will be September 10, 2016. Our theme for the Festival is “The Tourists are Coming, Where will They Stay?” We discussed the possibility of some kind of interactive exhibit. Two ideas mentioned were photo boards with face cutouts and sets of laminated cards with photos for visitors to try and place in chronological order. Merri reviewed the list of volunteers for our booth to insure that it will be covered all day.

The Adirondack Forty-sixers contacted us again to inquire as to whether the WHS still plans to participate in their 100th anniversary celebration. We agreed that our participation would be to provide photo displays of hiking on Whiteface since we have a number of interesting early photos. Doug suggested a tour of exhibits at the toll house in cooperation with the Olympic Regional Development Authority.

Linda reported on fundraising. Linda and Karen have picked out photos to create a calendar. She has also been in contact with Karen Glass who ran a fundraising run in Keene Valley. She will provide assistance for us to plan a 5K or 10K fundraiser run for next year.

Linda will check with Michele Preston to see if we can find a place to display the “Whiteface Gold” print that we will raffle at the Festival of Colors to boost ticket sales.

Doug reported that he checked our trailer. It is leaking and needs to be repaired. Donna suggested that if we can obtain prices we could vote on this at the next meeting.

Guy moved to adjourn and Gil seconded his motion. The motion carried unanimously.

Respectfully Submitted,
Nancy Cressey
Secretary
Wilmington Historical Society

[TOP of PAGE]


Home |  Welcome |  About Us |  Programs & Events |  Photographs |  History  |  Educational Programs 

(c) 2016 by the Wilmington Historical Society, P.O. Box 174, Wilmington, NY 12997