Wilmington Historical Society Logo

Wilmington Historical Society
Minutes of Meeting
Wednesday, October 5, 2016
Wilmington Community Center

Attendees

Karen Peters
Merri Peck
Doug Wolfe
Guy Stephenson
Judy Lawrence
Nancy Cressey
Bob Cressey
Jess Ano

Karen Peters called the meeting to order and our open discussion on “Wilmington Family History, Wilkins Family” began with Karen showing a family tree chart slide showing her family connection to Anne Florence Wilkins. Merri then talked about her Wilkins connection and many Wilkins family ancestors. The Wilkins family ties into many other local families.

At the close of the discussion the business meeting commenced and Karen called for the secretary’s report. Guy Stephenson moved to accept the minutes as read and Bob Cressey seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously. Karen presented the treasurer’s report in the absence of Donna Griffin. Our operating fund balance is $2,316.09 and the Wilmington Historical Society Ruth and Thomas Keegan Memorial History Center Fund account balance is $19,952.21. We have $100 in the building fund transfer account. Karen pointed out that we took in $605 for the raffle at the Festival of Colors. Guy made a motion to accept the report and his motion was seconded by Merri. All voted in favor.

The next item for discussion was communications. Karen sent a thank you note to Robert Jones for his donation of a Boylan Fitz-Gerald painting of the Wilmington Stone Bridge. Merri suggested that we should find a public place to display the painting until such time as we have our own building. Karen sent a thank you to Dan Christoffel for an interview he gave about his experiences with the Keegan family, the White Brook Motel and Restaurant and Santa’s Workshop. Karen sent a letter to the Visitors Bureau to thank them for their donation of $12,000 to our WHS Keegan Memorial Building Fund. In response to their request to make a formal presentation at our next WHS meeting, Karen told them we look forward to seeing them on Wednesday, November 2nd at 7 PM at the Wilmington Community Center. Merri suggested that we should perhaps table or do a shortened version of the Preston Family History discussion to allow time for Visitors Bureau presentation. Karen will send a note to Jeri Wright to advise her of the total amount of funds raised from the raffle of her print. She will also send a note to Randy Winch to thank him for framing Jeri’s print. Sally Underwood-Miller sent an email saying she had been doing some cleaning of her family plot at Haselton Cemetery. She asked for any information we might have about the location of Mildred Merrill’s grave, since she is listed as having been buried in Haselton Cemetery but the location is indicated as unknown. Karen replied to her with what information we know about Mildred Merrill, who was killed in a car accident as a child. We were not able to provide her with the location of the grave.

Next item for discussion was Acquisitions and Research. We received a request from Jon Lundin, Director of Communications at ORDA for historical photos of Marble Mountain for an article in ORDA’s Winter/Spring Flame Magazine. Karen sent him a number of photos. Doug Wolfe responded to a request for information about someone who worked on the Whiteface Highway Construction and Merri handled several requests for family history research. Quite a few people have been coming to our research days for family history recently. Our next research day will be October 18th.

Karen reported for the Publications and Programs Committee that our next program will be Friday, October 28th at 7 PM. Author Ellen Gruber Garvey will present “Writing with Scissors: The American Scrapbook in History.” We will also be cohosting the Cemetery Workshop with the Elizabethtown Museum on Friday, October 14th. The 102 Club dinner is being held tomorrow at the Cloudspin Lounge at Whiteface. Volunteers from WHS will be selling the 102 Club and Arcadia books as well as selling 50-50 raffle tickets. We will also have a photo display at the dinner.

Nancy Cressey reported for the Membership and Nominations Committee that we had one renewal and one new member for the month of September.

Karen then reported on Fundraising for Linda Joss-Dyke. The Festival of Colors went well. Doug suggested that our next Festival of Colors Display be designed to face outward so as not to create so much congestion inside the shelter. This would facilitate more people being able to view the display. The initial planning meeting for the Whiskey Run will be October 25th at 6:30 PM at the Visitors Bureau.

Patrick McIntyre is still working on updates to our website. Karen will be meeting tomorrow with Alison Haas about the wall display they would like us to do for the Olympic Museum. The museum has grant funding for creating the display and has said that we will be allowed to keep the display when they are finished with it. There is some confusion about who has the rights to early ski photos. John Lundin said that ORDA does not have the rights to photos that were taken before it came into existence. Doug suggested that Karen check with the DEC historian.

Karen said she has talked to Michele about ideas for the ADK 46ers celebration.

Merri reported that she researched sources for memorial donation envelopes and she has found a website that advertises 500 envelopes printed on both sides for $47.50 with free shipping. She will email the link to the website to everyone so we can make a decision.

Doug reported on the trailer. It does not appear to be worth repairing but he has found someone who is willing to haul it away at no cost. Randy Preston has agreed to come up with a place to store the Gatling gun since it is town property. Other items in the trailer include a small dog sled which Karen will store, a piece of wooden culvert which Guy agreed to store and a wooden display case which Doug will keep temporarily.

The WHS computer is repaired but still awaiting reloading of programs and files.

Time for our annual fundraiser for the Adirondack Foundation is approaching. We agreed based on response from last year’s mailing that we would limit our mailing to Wilmington plus members and previous donors. To reach all of Wilmington we will have to do a bulk mailing, but we decided to personalize the mailing to previous donors by doing a second letter thanking them for their previous support. Donna, Merri and Karen will meet to write the letters. Nancy said she has the list for Wilmington property owners who live out of town and would not be covered by the bulk mailing, but it is on hard copy and we have no program to convert to labels without retyping. We agreed to have several volunteers split up the list and put the names on an Excel spreadsheet to generate the mailing labels. Nancy will start the spreadsheet and then give the remaining sheets to Karen.

Karen encouraged us to take a look at available grants listed in Adirondack Foundation news. She also showed us a couple of ideas for honoring contributors.

Doug moved to adjourn the meeting and Guy seconded his motion. All voted in favor.

Respectfully Submitted,
Nancy Cressey
Secretary
Wilmington Historical Society

[TOP of PAGE]


Home |  Welcome |  About Us |  Programs & Events |  Photographs |  History  |  Educational Programs 

(c) 2016 by the Wilmington Historical Society, P.O. Box 174, Wilmington, NY 12997