The Wilmington Historical Society houses many artifacts, large and small, donated by full-time and part-time residents and families of the Whiteface Region, visitors to the area, and other institutions. We appreciate the willingness of our donors to publicly share their institutional, family and personal collections with us, so that they may tell the Wilmington and the Whiteface Region’s story and preserve our history in unique ways with a local perspective. We are happy to share a sampling of them with you.
Framed oil on canvas painting by artist Boylan Fitz-Gerald entitled “Wilmington Notch”, 32”x 26”, donated by Robert Jones
Framed oil on canvas painting by artist Boylan Fitz-Gerald entitled “Wilmington Bridge”, 22”x 18”. Boylan Fitz-Gerald was an artist, former Methodist minister and Wilmington/Jay entrepreneur during the 1960s, constructing and managing the Paleface Ski Center & Dude Ranch on the border of Jay and Wilmington. Donated by Dennis Keegan
Cooper's Tool for banding barrels, 7” in length, donated by Karen Marshall Peters
Collection of 14 maple taps from Bonnie View Farm for tapping maple trees in the Spring to make maple syrup, Douglas A. Wolfe collection
5 Fishing flies tied by Fran Betters, well-known angler and a member of the Fly Fishing Hall of Fame, donated by Jan Betters
Santa's Workshop, North Pole, NY Souvenir Plate, 12” diameter with raised dimensional figures, donated by Vic & Debbie Brown
WWII U.S. Army service cap worn by Earl Warren, a resident of Wilmington (Haselton), who served in the 332nd Engineer General Service Regiment, spending time in France. Helen & Earl Warren Collection
WWII US Army issue canteen used by Earl Warren, a resident of Wilmington (Haselton), who served in the 332nd Engineer General Service Regiment, spending time in France. Helen & Earl Warren Collection
WWII Army Song Book, compiled by the Adjutant General’s Office in collaboration with the Library of Congress and published by order of the Secretary of War, 1941. 64 pages. Helen & Earl Warren Collection
WWII 332nd Engineer General Service Regiment pin with blue background on crest, gold, white and red plumb bob insignia, motto, ”To Build, To Conquer”, 1 1/8” high. Helen & Earl Warren Collection
Steinhoff's Sportsman’s Inn Restaurant placemat ca 1950s 10”x15”. The restaurant was established by Carl and Bertha Steinhoff on the West Branch AuSable River on the Lake Placid Road. A German immigrant and skilled hunter and fisherman, Carl was a master chef.
Whiteface Mountain Memorial Highway commemorative souvenir 1¼” medallion ca. 1938 with front & back and back designs. “Construction begun Sept. 28, 1931, Dedicated on Sept. 14, 1935 by Franklin D Roosevelt, Length of Highway-8 miles, Cost $1,250,000. Altitude of Whiteface Mt.4,972.5 ft” , donated by Rarilee Conway
Architectural rendering of a Proposed Whiteface Mountain Summit Memorial Tower--- This was one of the submissions in a design contest. It was NEVER BUILT --- the proposal was vetoed by then Gov. Franklin Roosevelt in 1934, on advice of Conservation Commissioner Osborne, in favor of a more low-profile design. It is a companion paper to the one located in the Toll House. Approx. 14”x21” (Damaged, with missing pieces, and some yellowing), donated by Barbara Mulvey
Springfield Rifle, U.S. Issue, 1863. Belonged to Oscar Frances Maynard, Civil War Veteran NY 93rd volunteers and later, resident of Wilmington, New York. Donated by Wayne Taylor
Small leather purse and Civil War era minie ball within it, the purse measuring 1 ½” X 1 ½”, found in the back of a drawer in a desk at the Warren-Haselton house. Helen & Earl Warren Collection
Whiteface Mountain Ski Center, Wilmington, NY pin ca 1950s belonging to Helen Marshall Warren, 1 ½” high 2 ½” wide at base, (pin back missing), Helen & Earl Warren Collection
Hobby House yardstick. The Hobby House was a general store owned by Clara Haselton located on current Route 86 in Wilmington mid-1900s, Douglas A. Wolfe Collection
1980 Winter Olympics Giant Slalom flag, 39” x 27”. Alpine events for the 1980 Lake Placid Winter Olympics took place on Whiteface Mountain in Wilmington, NY, f;ag donated by Wilmington Alpine Events volunteer Augie Augenthaler
Town of Wilmington School Records
Register of attendance book School District #6 (Hardy School), August 1, 1903- July 31, 1904, one of 6 books, Linda Gowen Carver collection
American Flag from the Wilmington Village School Dist# 3: 48 stars, 34 ½ “X 23 ½”, silk-like material, attached to a black display pole 48” long and ½” diameter. Last displayed in the 1950’s, before the change to a 50 star flag and before the district merged with Lake Placid Central Schools, Ruth Boyer collection
Mary E. Haselton framed teacher's certificate, 1918. Mary taught in the Haselton School. Helen & Earl Warren Collection
Cannon ball approximately 4” in diameter, found under the porch of Helen & Earl Warren, Helen & Earl Warren Collection
High Falls Gorge patch belonging to Helen Marshall Warren who also worked in their rock shop 1970s, Helen & Earl Warren Collection
Framed oil portrait painting of unidentified middleclass man and unidentified artist, ca. 1790-1840, approx. 7 ¾ “by 10”, found in the attic of the Warren farmhouse and probably limited to genealogies of those who lived there--- Warren, Haselton, Marshall, Bliss, Lawrence, etc., or of the original owner, Markham. Painting is slightly bowed outward, Helen and Earl Warren collection
Cymbals used in the Pioneer Scout band, performances often held at the Owaissa Club, an organization for both residents and tourists alike, originally created by Clara Merrill in 1920 and dedicated to her young daughter Mildred who died in a car accident. Donated by Billie Loughran
10” diameter plate, green design on white background with the words, “Ancient Valley of Falling Waters, High Falls Gorge, Whiteface Mtn., N.Y.”, and “Indian Head Falls”, “Upper Falls” and “Lower Falls” around the outer edge, Helen and Earl Warren collection.
4 1/4” in length, Helen and Earl Warren collection
Gold rectangular name plate “Whiteface Mountain Championship Hill Climb 1964, Mohawk-Hudson Region, SCCA”, 2 ¾” long x 1 ¼”, with round red insignia with gold lettering in the center, “Sports Car Club of America”
9” diameter pedestal silver bowl, outside lettering “Whiteface Mountain Hill Climb First 1964”
12 1/2” long, ½” wide, blue with faded white lettering ““Otto Schniebs Ski Shop”, with working clasp
37 ½” long, 5” wide, black material, with gold & orange hand-painted lettering,” Owaissa Club, Wilmington, NY, Aug. 20th Country Fair”, on back handwritten, Aug. 20, 1937, Richard Lawrence Collection
Triangular White Ribbon with blue lettering “N.Y. State Outdoor Speedskating Championships, Wilmington, NY February 5-6, 1955”. Ribbon 1 ½” length, 1 ¼” width, Gold medal 1 ½” diameter. Words on the medal “Wilmington Amateur Speed Skating Association “with design in the center. Back of Medal says, “220 yard intermediate First”, Jeanne Ashworth collection
Triangular White Ribbon with blue lettering “N.Y. State Outdoor Speedskating Championships, Wilmington, NY February 5-6, 1955”. Ribbon 1 ½” length, 1 ¼” width, Gold medal 1 ½” diameter. Words on the medal “Wilmington Amateur Speed Skating Association” with design in the center. Back of Medal says, “440 yard intermediate First”, Jeanne Ashworth collection
Post card, 5 ½” long and 3 ½” wide, “Whiteface Mountain House, Wilmington, NY in the Adirondacks” with artist’s rendering of the establishment on the front, and Published by F.E. Everest, Wilmington, NY, 1 cent canceled stamp on back.
Hand school bell, 4” diameter metal bell with clapper and 4” wooden handle. From the Haselton School on Haselton Road in Wilmington, Helen & Earl Warren Collection.
Stainless steel, 4 ½” long, nose ring is 3” wide x 2 ¼”, handle is 4” long.
Vintage Bumper Tag- “Whiteface Mountain Memorial Highway, NY” with corner holes meant for metal tie use to attach to a car bumper. 16” long x 4” high, center mountain peak is 6” high.
Silver medal, 3” diameter, raised design on front , the Olympic pledge in concentric circles surrounding the XIII Olympic Winter Games Lake Placid 1980 design on back, Augie Augenthaler collection
Lake Placid Olympic Winter Games Steward Name tag, yellow with black lettering & logos and the name “Augie Augenthaler” near the bottom, 4” square, Augie Augenthaler collection
Brown leather square-toed ski boots, 10 ½” long, 3 ¾” wide at the widest point, with yellow laces (49” long). Donated by Stephen Lester.
Whiteface Mountain Ski Center poncho, white canvas with red lettering “Whiteface” on both sides. 45” long x 28” wide, used on the open ski lift for protection against the cold and weather. v-neck in front and round-neck in back, Douglas A. Wolfe collection