The Wilmington Historical Society was initiated by Wilmington Town Historian, Merri Carol Peck, in January of 2002, when she called together a group of townspeople interested in preserving and promoting the history of Wilmington and creating a permanent and accessible place to protect and house the town’s collection of historical records and artifacts. The group met informally for a year and decided to petition the State of New York for a Provisional Charter. The first annual meeting and election of officers was held on June 14, 2003. The first officers were: President —Karen Marshall Peters, Vice-President— Merri Carol Peck, Treasurer— Robert Cressey, Secretary— Nancy Cressey, Trustee (3 years) — Doug Wolfe, Trustee (2 years) — Guy Stephenson, Trustee (1 year) — Steve Connor.
We are a 501(c)(3) not-for–profit organization having received a New York State Provisional Charter in 2003 and a New York State Absolute Charter in 2011. We hold regular monthly meetings, display our collections, provide research hours, and offer programs to the public. Our collections are currently housed downstairs in the Wilmington Community Center, located at 7 Community Center Circle (off Springfield Road), Wilmington, NY 12997.
During this time of Covid, we continue to meet on the first Wednesday of each month at 6:30pm via Zoom. The public is welcome and encouraged to join us. Please let us know if you would like to be included by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling Karen Peters at 518-420-8370 (or 518-524-1023) or Merri Peck at 518-524-7414. While we normally have RESEARCH HOURS open to the public, during Covid, we are making efforts to help researchers via email. Public Programs will be held as we adjust to the changing Covid restrictions.